Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Great Run with a Stupid Runner



"Oh hai, BB! I iz in your Zensahs, stealin' ur compression!"

It's a beautiful day for a run, so I got up "early" and hit the road.

My marathon training schedule called for 15 miles...I'm still reeling over the fact that I have a marathon coming up.

The first 100 yards were simply awful. My shin was screaming...my stomach was grumbling. Self doubt crept in.

I was convinced that 15 miles was out of the question. Less than 3 minutes into my run and I was ready to quit.

What happened next was a runner miracle.

The pain in my shin disappeared and my stomach settled. I got into a rythmn. Everything started clicking. I cranked out mile after mile. I passed a llama farm.

It was a great run.

I finished my 15 miler (distance PR!) with a huge smile on my face.

And it's all fun and games until someone almost passes out in line at Quiznos...

I shuffled on home, hopped in the ice bath (a blog post in and of itself) and showered. Then I headed out to grab lunch for Hubs and myself.

As I stood in line at Quiznos, I started to feel woozy. Actually it was more like impending Linda Blair-style vomiting. Oh great I think...puking in a restaurant full of people might be my biggest fear.

I ordered and then quickly realized that I wasn't going to vomit at all-- I was going to straight-up pass out.

My brain was like, "Ok, body-- I think we can work this out. Don't do anything weird..."

And my body was all "MAY-DAY, MAY-DAY! WE ARE GOING DOWN! REEE-URRRR REEEE-URRR REEE-URRRRR!"

(That's a siren sound).

Anyway, I ran to the bathroom but didn't quite make it that far...my world started spinning. I pulled out a chair and sat down right as my vision blurred and everything went bright.

I took a breather. I went to the bathroom and splashed some cold water on my face (just like the movies!) and eventually felt better.

I grabbed a Gatorade, paid for the sandwich and headed home.

Yes, I still got the sandwich. I'm kind of like a Navy SEAL in that way-- I kept my focus on the primary objective; and "not passing out" was not critical to the success of the mission.

Basically, I'm a big ol' idiot.

I ran 15 miles in 70 degree heat and then didn't eat anything afterwards. NOT A THING. An hour passed between the time I finished my run and then almost passed out in Quiznos.

Idiot. Me. A big one.

I'm embarrassed to even blog about this...but then again...it was pretty blog-worthy.

So yeah, lesson learned.

ALSO-- no one seemed to notice my trauma at Quiznos. Interesting.

9 comments:

  1. Okay first, I'm sorry that happened and it totally sucks, but you have to learn the hard way on that kinda crap sometimes.

    Second, I shouldn't say this about you passing out, but you are hilarious and a fantastic writer, haha!

    Glad you are okay, and huge CONGRATS on the distance PR! I can't wait to live vicariously through you as you train for this! My knees would never, ever be able to handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) you are too sweet! Thank you!

    Yeah, I definitely learned my lesson...and as soon as I sat down, I felt fine and thought it was a crazy, hilarious situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't believe that NO ONE noticed!! Ha. Sad story, I have hypoglycemia which causes wicked drops in my blood sugar. One morning I was home alone and passed out on the way to the kitchen to get some juice to bring it back up. As I was going down, all I could think was "I wonder how long it would take for someone to find me if I don't wake up...." Ha!!

    Oh, and about the pink shoes. runningwarehouse.com has them for $70! They also do free/overnight shipping :) I love them for shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've experienced that feeling after a run, but it was a lot less than 15 miles! Chocolate Milk within 10 mins of your long run is highly recommended as a recovery drink. It just gives me an excuse to drink chocolate milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany, your probably the best blogger I've ever read. Also, the accomplishment of a 15-miler is hoss-dog. That's so awesome that you almost passed out, but didn't! A terrible sensation at the time, but many a BA point afterwards. I've never ice-bathed- you should def. do an entry on dat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. d.a.r.-- That is terrifying! You need one of those life alert things that the old people have ;)...Those shoes are next on my list, fo' sure!

    Joe-- Good call on the chocolate milk. I'm grabbing it first thing next time!

    Jake-- Thanks, dude! I appreciate that! Oh, and there will be an ice bath post, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was just what i needed to read to get me motivated to get out running! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the PR, and on staying focused on the mission. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am only sort-of sorry this happenened to you only because it happenend- you wrote about it and that bit where your mind was conversating with your body screaming MayDay May Day was hilarious. AND, my dad was a navy seal. oh yeah. he also ran marathons all the time after he got out. I think the seal-bit made the marathons seem like cake walks.
    Although, I don't really know what a cake-walk is but I could be using the expression incorrectly as usual.

    btw- CONGRATS on the 15 miler- that is awesome! you are my idol.

    ReplyDelete