Monday, February 2, 2009

On Gym Attire and Getting "Faster"

I guess the body heat from all the power-walkers (hogging the treadmills) restored full power to my gym, so I am back in (training) business.

And get this-- I am marginally "faster."

My training schedule called for 3 miles on Saturday, and I ran it in 25 minutes. More importantly, I wasn't tired or winded -- I was very, surprisingly comfortable. That is incredibly fast for me (my first and only 5K was 28:18 and I thought I was going to die as I crossed the finish line).

On Sunday I ran 6 miles in under an hour! On a treadmill! I couldn't believe it. I looked like a swamp creature with sweat dripping off my eyelashes, but I didn't care. I ran 6 miles...on a treadmill...in under an hour...and I didn't pass out (always a bonus). This is unprecendented progress for me.

On a semi-related note -- a lot of 20something girls at my gym really do it up for their workouts -- hot pink built-in bra tanks and spandex yoga pants, hair neatly braided with matching headbands, the works. I guess they are trying to get a date, I don't know.

I have no one to impress. Hubs doesn't care what I wear to the gym and he already bought the cow. And I always say the nicer your work-out attire, the less you are likely to actually accomplish in the gym. That's why I dress like this:

Teeshirts with the sleeves hacked off, likely covered in holes (the shirt in the picture had the back completely missing) with shorts that don't match anything (and leggings if all my shorts are in the laundry). See that halo circling my head? That's my hair-frizz. I don't believe in hair spray.

This picture was taken in Florida after a morning run -- my friends wanted to know what happened to my shirt, so I blamed it on an run in with an alligator.

I think that's what going on in this picture, but I can't be sure. I make that face a lot. I'm making it right now!

4 comments: