Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Born to run?

After watching the NOVA Marathon Challenge (thanks, Jake!) I'm taking away some interesting points:

Are humans born to run?

We have...
-Springy arch of the human foot
-Hairless skin
-Abundant sweat glands provide exceptional cooling
-Large muscular butts that prevent humans from tipping forward while running

We're not necessarily built for "speed"; sometimes squirrels can out-race us...but in a warm climate over distance, we can outrun dogs, antelope and even horses (which would all overheat).

This series also illustrates the devastation of injury during training. I'm happy to report that as of my afternoon run yesterday, all tightness and pain in my calf and shin are gone.

It's a marathon miracle...

Here's hoping my luck holds up!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the vid. Watching old people attempt to run a marathon gets me in a better mood to face the various labor tasks that make up half of my "medical" career in this here army.

    I've watched about 20 of the 50-something NOVA videos on that site. Let those who are too cheap to rent movies rejoice.

    ReplyDelete