Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lower your expectations and SUCCEED!

I hate to even attempt to make some sort of goal or prediction for tomorrow's race. This is my first LONG distance race and only my SECOND official race ever.

In May I ran a 5k in 28:18...this is slow by many runner's standards, and still I thought I was going to die. That's when I conceded that 3.1 miles just isn't "my distance" (I call this a naive runner's cope out). I now fear and respect the 5k.

According to some time predictors/calculators, I should finish the 10 miles in under 1:40. Hah. HAH. Seriously, I don't think it will go down this way. I honestly expect to hobble over the finish line closer to 2:00 (putting me in the very back of the back according to last year's results for this race). But hey, I have done ZERO speed training prior to this race so what should I expect? SLOW and STEADY (but mostly slow), that's what.

The whole purpose of this race is to introduce myself to this distance in a "race" environment. The mini in April will have more hills, MANY more runners and 3.1 extra miles -- but it will be good to have this one under my proverbial belt.

As an aside, I am really, VERY excited about this run. UNUSUALLY excited. So excited that I dared to wear pants with an elastic waistband to work. OMG.

1 comment: