Friday, July 24, 2009

Wanted: New Training Plan

With all this slacking and school prep, I keep forgetting about the half marathon in October.

I can't 100% commit to running the thing until I get a better handle on my school schedule (which is TBA at the moment).

I know that I will make time to run...there isn't a doubt in my mind about that. But if the past year has taught me anything, it's that running and training are two different monsters.

Running is fun and casual. Training is fun and...stressful.

Runner's World has a Three Day Half Marathon Training Plan that might work for me:

Tuesdays: Speed work
Wednesdays: Tempo runs (starts at 3 miles and tops out at 8 miles)
Saturday OR Sunday: Long runs (6-12 miles)


Seems pretty flexible...I'd add a couple days of crosstraining. Also I may convert Tuesdays into short distance tempos rather than gut-busting speed sessions, although a little speed work certainly wouldn't hurt.

But can three days a week get the job done?

Until I settle on a plan, I'm just keeping it steady as she goes as far as running. Hubs and I are running tomorrow, and I'd like to get 5 miles with some trail running thrown in for good measure.

Now I'm off to kayak with my coworkers (and I'm totally counting this as crosstraining).

1 comment:

  1. I've got a Half in October too. Our schedule calls for 4 days running and 1 X-Training day. I can send you the link if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete